Vocabulary and speaking
1. Find in the text the expressions where these words are used.
house agents cash-desk
tinned products quality
2. Choose the correct variants.
People buy in the supermarket: shampoo, medicines, sandwiches, yoghurt, biscuits, soap, a computer, Cds, pasta, coffee, tomatoes, books, eggs, bread, a clock, washing powder, shoes, sausage;
When people do shopping they need: a plastic bag, a knife, a credit card, a shopping list, a newspaper, a trolley, a purse, a thermometer, cash, a wire basket, family photos, a pen, a calculator.
3. Complete the expressions:
pay by … , pay in … , save …, to fill … , to write… .
1. Try to explain in English what the word from the task 1 A mean.
Use them in your own sentences.
2. Describe how do you do following:
a) choosing the food
b) paying for the food
c) unpacking the products at home.
3. What departments do you go if you:
a) prepare a big dinner for 10 persons;
b) want to make a vegetable soup;
c) need to clean your house;
d) expect a company and don`t have time to cook a big dinner.
1. Think of the answers to following questions. Use the text to have ideas.
1. Who can help you in a supermarket? How?
2. What is the most comfortable way of doing shopping in a supermarket?
3. How can you save your time in a supermarket? Your money?
4. What problems can you have doing shopping in a supermarket?
2. What are advantages and disadvantages of:
- local shops / big stores
- ready food / not prepared food
- paying by credit card /paying in cash?
Immagine: you are an owner of a supermarket. Your store is the best in the city. Describe your ideal supermarket.
Degrees of comparison
1. Find in the text all phrases with comparative degree of comparison. Make a table.
Form the comparative degree of following adjectives:
cold, warm, powerful, active, happy, good, popular, strong, little, low, famous, busy
Do the same using the superlative degree.
2. Make up phrases with following expressions:
e.g. food of good quality – food of better quality - food of the best quality
1) high prices 3) a long shopping list
2) a near shop 4) an empty basket
1. Make up comparative sentences using the example:
e.g. right queue / short/ left queue – The right queue is shorter than the left one
1) fresh food / good/tinned food
2) this supermarket / convenient / that shop
3) prices in big city / high / prices in the country
4) a wire basket / heavy / a plastic basket
5) the choice in the store / wide / choice in the shop
2. Make up the sentences this superlative degree of adjectives using the example:.
e.g. The service in this shop is good. – The service in this shop is the best in the city.
1. The shop-assistants in this supermarket are very attractive.
2. The house agents here are rather expensive.
3. The queue at this cash-desk is always long.
4. The lift in this store is very dangerous.
5. The shelves of this supermarket are always clean.
1. Fill in the right form of the adjectives. Pay attention to the spelling.
1. At the butcher`s I always ask to cut the meat in (small) pieces.
2. As a rule I prefer a basket and don`t take a trolley because it is (heavy).
3. My mom often goes round the shop and looks for (low) prices.
4. We never go to that store because it is (far) from our house.
5. Today the queue at the cash-desk is (long an slow).
2. Compare two big supermarkets of your city: size, prices, choice, service, quality of food, position, etc.
Vocabulary : How did people meet?
Grammar : Past Simple
Reading: Distant love
Read and translate these words.
1. message [`mesıdз] 2. fiancee [fı`α:nseı]
screen [`skri:n] wedding [`wedıη]
Чтобы распечатать файл, скачайте его (в формате Word).
Ссылка на скачивание - внизу страницы.