1. Is it O'K if I take y< зиг car for the evening? (No).
2.1 wonder if I could come to one of your classes. (Yes).
3. You don't mind if I come a bit later, do you? (No).
4. May I take the day off tomorrow? (No).
5. Do you mind if I drop in on Sunday? (Yes).
6. Could I turn the t< illy up, please? (No).
7. Would you mind if J prepared the balance sheet later? (Yes).
IV. Refuse permission and give explanation to be polite:
Example: open the; window - get a cold.
A: Do you mind iff I open the window?
B: I'd rather you didn't if you don't mind. I'm afraid I've got a bad cold.
1. make a long- distance telephone call (pay for it);
2. change the terms of payment (the most acceptable one);
3. make an app ointment with your chief (he is your business);
4. invite guests so dinner (want to spend a peaceful evening);
5. replace the damaged goods by new ones (no your fault) ;
6. turn the tape-recorder up (elderly neighbours;
7. have a holiday (have much work).
V. Make short conversations in the following situations:
1. Ask your dean for permission to take an examination
mathematics over again.
Ask your boss, a very aggressive man, if you
can have a day off
tomorrow. Give your reasons.
A friend of yours is asking you if you can
lend him/her your
camera. You want to know when he/she wants it and then give your
having a birthday party. Suddenly one of your friends
says that she is feeling bad. Ask your father's permission to use his car
to take yocr friend home.
Your group-mate has bought a very interesting
book, which is
not available in your library but you need it badly. Ask delicately for
his permission to take it home for two days.
Words and Phrases You Might Need
to Express Various Reactions
Exactly. Justso. Совершенно верно. Именно так.
You've got it to a "t". IthinkВы попали в самую точку. Я ду-
that's exactlyso.маю, что это именно так.
Чтобы распечатать файл, скачайте его (в формате Word).
Ссылка на скачивание - внизу страницы.