Test-paper in English
1. Match each word or phrase about finance in the box to its definition below.
acquisition assets economies of scale liquidity merger
due diligence fixed costs liabilities turnover variable costs
1. full investigation of a company's activities and finances
2. the amount of money that a company owes
3. the process of combining two companies to form a bigger one
4. something that someone buys (especially a company that has been bought by
5. costs that alter directly when the business alters its level of output (e.g. raw
materials, components, labour costs for factory workers)
6. costs that do not alter when the business alters its level of output (e.g. rent,
marketing, management salaries)
7. things such as money, buildings or equipment that a person or company owns
8. measure of a company's ability to quickly convert assets into cash
9. reductions in the cost of producing a unit of a product that occur as the output
10. total amount of money coming into a company from sales (usually given as an
2. Find words or phrases from the box in 1 that have the same or similar meanings to the following.
1. cost of sales / direct costs:_______________________________________
2. overheads / indirect costs:_______________________________________
5. revenue / income:_________________________________________________
3. Match the words in the box to their definitions (and extra information) below.
climb dip deteriorate jump peak rise slide soar stabilize fluctuate
1. become higher (literally: to move up using your hands and feet)
2. become less (literally: to put something into a liquid and quickly lift it out again)
3. change frequently, especially from a high level to a low one and back again
4. stop changing and become steady
5. get worse (opposite: improve)
6. get worse gradually (literally: to move smoothly and quickly across a surface)
7. increase (opposite: fall)
8. increase quickly to a high level (literally: to fly high in the sky)
9. increase suddenly and by a large amount (literally: push your body off the ground using your legs)
10. reach the highest point before becoming lower (the noun means 'the top of a mountain')
4. Read this sentence:
There was a _________________increase in sales.
Make adjectives that can go in the empty space using the letters and meanings given.
(Clue: the letter in bold is always the first letter.)
1. __________________ abcdeeilnors (large)
2.___________________ aacdimrt (sudden and surprising)
3.___________________ adeemort (neither big nor small)
5.___________________ acfgiiinnst (large or noticeable)
6.___________________ ghilst (small in size)
7.___________________ ddensu (quick and unexpected)
5. Look at one way to show 'cause → effect':
The new technology we bought last year resulted in a significant increase in productivity.
Now show 'effect→ cause' using these words to complete the gaps: a, as, because, due, of, of, result, thanks, to, to.
The increase in productivity last year was______________ _______________/_____________________ _________________________/____________________ _________________/ ___________________ ________________________ __________________ __________the new technology we bought.
6. Complete the sentences using the most appropriate form: will, be going to or the present continuous. Use contractions (I'll, I'm) where possible.
1. (describing your plans) Next year___________________(we / enter) the
Croatian market by buying a small local firm.
2. (making a promise) Don't worry,____________________(you / have) the goods
by the end of the week.
3. (giving details of a fixed arrangement)__________________ (I / meet)
Barbara from 9:00 to 10:00 at her office, and I should back around 10:30.
4. (making an instant decision) Is that my mobile phone ringing? I'm
sorry,_________________(I / turn) it off.
7. Complete this presentation extract using the words and phrases in the box.
resulted in as a result of seem to suggest whereas however let's move on next slide shows notice from the chart
My (2)_____________________________our administration costs one year after
the merger. You will (3)________________________________that the figures
(4)_____________________________no noticeable impact on costs
But this hides the real situation. Initially, the merger (6)___________________
many large compensation payments for managerial staff who lost their jobs, and
this increased costs. (7)___________________________________
over the longer term salary costs are coming down as a result of the cuts. Next year
we expect administration costs to be 2.3M, (8)__________________ this year
they will be about 2,9M.
Чтобы распечатать файл, скачайте его (в формате Word).
Ссылка на скачивание - внизу страницы.