John Lennon was born in Liverpool, England, in 1940. Soon after he was born, his father abandoned him. His mother sent John to live with her sister when she left with a new boyfriend. John became the leader of a street gang. He spent a lot of time on the streets, where he stole things. A teacher once wrote on his report card, “Hopeless ... A clown in class. He is just wasting other pupils’ time.”
When he was thirteen, his mother came to visit him and brought him a guitar. She taught him how to play. John got together with some classmates and formed a rock group. Later, the group became the Beatles.
John Lennon and the Beatles became popular all over the world. They were the most popular musical group for more than a decade. They greatly influenced the popular culture of the 1960s and 1970s.
In 1970, Lennon met and married Yoko Ono. The Beatles broke up, and he began to perform with his wife.
On December 8, 1980, Mark Chapman, an unemployed amateur guitarist, went to the New York building where Lennon and his wife lived, and he waited outside. When Lennon came out, Chapman fired several shots and killed Lennon. The news spread throughout the world. Radio stations played music by Lennon and the Beatles as fans wept and mourned this tragic death.
EXERCISE 1. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb in ( ). EXAMPLE: John Lennon WPS born in England.
1. His father_______________ him when he was young.
2. His mother_______________ him to live with his aunt.
3. He_______________ the leader of a street gang.
4. Не______________ things when he was a child.
5. A teacher_______________ on his report card, “Hopeless.”
6. One day, his mother_______________ to visit.
7. She______________ him a guitar.
8. She______________ him how to play.
9. He______________ a rock group.
10. The Beatles popular all over the world.
11. John Lennon_______ and Yoko Ono.
12. The Beatles up.
13. Lennon to perform and record with his wife.
14. Mark Chapman to the building where Lennon
15. When Lennon out of the building, Chapman
several shots and_______________ Lennon.
16. The news all over the world.
EXERCISE 2. We learned about a disaster in Chicago. Now fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb in ( ) to learn about a disaster in another major city.
EXAMPLE: A major earthquake hit San Francisco in 1906.
1. The earthquake___________
4. It_______________ gas, water, and electrical pipes.
5. The earthquake off communication with the outside world
6. No one-------------------- an earthquake like this could happen.
7. Fires_______________ the earthquake.
8. There_______________ no water to fight the fires.
9. The local government in the military to keep law and order
10. For two days, fires________________
11. About seven hundred people________________ their lives.
12. The earthquake--------------------- 8.3 on the Richter scale, making it the
most serious earthquake in the history of the United States.
1. For negative statements, we use didn’t (did not) + the base form for all verbs, regular or irregular.
I didn’t work on Sunday. 1 worked on Saturday.
We didn’t enjoy the dinner, but we enjoyed the dessert.
You didn’t meet my cousin. You met my uncle.
She didn’t bring the textbook. She brought the workbook.
2. A negative statement with never uses the past form. We don’t use didn’t.
My father never went to high school.
He never studied biology.
Observe the negative forms in the following sentences:
1. John Lennon lived with his aunt. He didn’t live with his mother.
Чтобы распечатать файл, скачайте его (в формате Word).
Ссылка на скачивание - внизу страницы.