Find the Gerunds
and Participles. Translate the sentences.
- The individual elements of the model, as elaborated
in this work, represent the tested output of empirical research.
- These represent the two major methods
employed in gathering evidence to justify the claim that media violence
- Even as a journalistic metaphor, reifying
public opinion can have pernicious effects by leading to
misinterpretations of political reality.
- They are simple signs indicating which
class is declining and which is on the rise.
- It is worth observing that some
psychological studies have come to the opposite conclusion.
- Information about the individual helps to
define the situation, enabling others to know in advance what he/she will
expect of them and what they may expect of him/her.
- Consumption involves goods being
purchased for their symbolic value, their meaning to the consumer, not
just for their material value.
- Today we live in a world in which deep
integration organized primarily within the production networks of TNCs
is becoming increasingly pervasive.
- This control is achieved largely by
influencing the definition of the situation.
- This procedure (which may also be called
a normative definition) consists of determining the expectations held by
each individual member of the population.
- Participants were allowed to ask
questions by raising their hands.
- Analyzing popular texts requires a double
- Generally speaking, would you say that
most people can be trusted or that you can’t be too careful in dealing
- The man who deceives the others
begins by deceiving himself.
- A conceptual model frequently
employed these days in the social science is the “closed natural system”.
- Pennsylvania passed legislation in
1848 allowing wives the right to own the property they had inherited or
- We are accustomed to viewing the history
of that time as s struggle between Christianity and other religions.
- If you are talking to a child, you change
your level of pronunciation without knowing it.
- Many sociologists, especially those relying
primarily on surveys and other quantitative methods, have been
criticized for viewing people as objects passively responding to the
meaning of the others.
- Even when the qualifications needed were
the same, jobs occupied mostly by women were paid less than jobs occupied
mostly by men.
- In seeking to resolve this
contradiction the author turns to the analogue of language.
- Having adopted the processual view on
ritual, Turner discussed the importance of the liminal phase in ritual.
- Following the passage model, he
identifies a 3-phased process in ritual.
- Regulation has a number of meanings,
depending on the context.
- Descriptive systems for dealing with
these aspects of speech have now been developed.
- The survey objective is collecting data
on events occurring in specified time periods.
toelaborate – разрабатывать, обдумывать
– материализовать, превращать в нечто конкретное
pernicious – вредный, пагубный
TNCs = transnational corporations
зervasive – проникающий, распространяющийся
to deceive - обманывать
frequently = often
legislation – принятьзакон
– получить по наследству
to rely on – полагатьсяна
to seek to
to try to do smth