These investigations are not only a great aid to navigation but they also greatly expand our knowledge on the relationship existing between the atmospheric, oceanic and terrestrial phenomena.
1. wave recorder – хвилемір;
2. tide gauge – прилад для реєстрації припливів та відливів;
3. supersonic echo sounder – надзвуковий ехолот.
Answer the questions:
1. What area of the earth’s total surface do the oceans cover?
2. What does oceanography study?
3. How do scientists conduct oceanographic observations?
4. What measuring instruments help scientists in their work?
5. What can scientists learn using special devices?
6. Why are these investigations so important?
I. Translate the following word-combinations:
The origin of the ocean bed, supersonic echo sounder, sound impulses, complicated ocean research, oceanographic observations, to conduct important studies, thoroughly explored, the science of the oceans, scientific work, day-to-day weather watches, water velocities, measuring instruments, the world's climate, by means of special devices, field of vision, terrestrial phenomena, the surface currents, to bring to light all the changes, physical and chemical properties of the water, temperature readings.
II. Fill in the blanks with the words given below:
Instruments, research, to reveal, specimen, to determine, to photograph, observations, to indicate.
• Dozens of ... ships of different nations designed for complicated ocean research are criss-crossing the oceans.
• Different measuring ... , wave recorders and tide gauges are at work.
• Another modern instrument enables us ... the motion of the ocean by measuring the electric potential induced in it because of its movement through the earth's magnetic field.
• The invention of the supersonic echo sounder has ... that the floor of the ocean is covered with great mountain chain and deep trenches.
• Moreover, a special meter is used ... depths by measuring the time required for a sound impulse to travel to the sea bottom and for the echo to return.
Чтобы распечатать файл, скачайте его (в формате Word).
Ссылка на скачивание - внизу страницы.