1. Прочитайте текст и письменно переведите выделенный курсивом отрывок
Why is There Concern About the Environment?
You and all other living things on this earth exist in what is known as the biosphere. The biosphere includes those elements that support life-water, air, and soil.
Energy enters the biosphere in the form of sunlight. Plants need sunlight to make food. And all animal life on earth depends on plants for food. Without the air, water, and soil of the biosphere-and without sunlight-life on earth could not exist. It is essential, then, to keep these natural resources in the best possible condition.
Over the years, however, people have made changes that have affected the condition of the biosphere. For example, many, many trees have been cut down. This has caused soil erosion in many places, since tree roots help hold soil in place. Valuable soil is often washed into rivers and streams, which then become muddy and full of sediment.
Burning coal and oil to provide heat and to generate electricity pollutes the air with smoke, dirt, and gases. Still greater air pollution is caused by automobiles.
Modern technology is causing changes in the biosphere with a speed unique in all history. Many people have begun to think of these consequences of these changes, especially those that resulting various kinds of pollution. Some of the changes pose threats to the earth we live on and to the health of all living things on the earth. That is why people concerned today about pollution. And that is why efforts are now being turned to working for a healthier environment.
2. Ответьте письменно на вопросы к тексту
1) What supports life-water, air, and soil?
2) Why does all animal life depend on plant?
3) Why has cutting down trees caused soil erosion?
4) Why are people concerned about pollution?
3.Напишите 5 вопросов разного типа к содержанию всего текста и дайте на них ответы.
4. Откройте скобки, употребив глагол в скобках в нужном времени
a) The quality of air we ( to breathe) has a great impact on our health.
b) You already (to study) the respiratory diseases asthma, lung cancer, and emphysema.
c) When you (to see) smog on the horizon or over an area, the yellowish-brown color (to come0 from nitrogen dioxide.
d) How weather conditions (to affect) air pollution?
e) Many birds (to became) victims of pesticides.
5.Выберите нужный модальный глагол:
1) We could/may/should not survive more than about five days without water.
2) How may/can/should carbon dioxide change the world’ climate?
3) Constant noise may/should/have to cause blood vessels to constrict.
4) People have to/must/can observe basic principles on order to set up a society that is in harmony with the environment.
5) There is no way man must/can have to clean the air, but there is a way he can/need/may keep it clean.
6.Напишите предложения в пассивном залоге и переведите их
a) In some cities statues that have been standing for decades are beginning to erode.
b) The chemical permeates our atmosphere.
c) Scientists are still studying the long-term effects of lead-poisoning.
d) Sound levels in schools can affect student’s ability to learn.
e) Alexander Fleming discovered the powerful antibiotic by accident in 1929.
Чтобы распечатать файл, скачайте его (в формате Word).
Ссылка на скачивание - внизу страницы.