I Grammar in Use
1. Find the group “subject - predicate” in each sentence:
1. We enjoy eating mixed vegetable salads and soups.
2. Peter likes seafood very much.
3. While she was working someone stopped to watch her.
4. I am tall and quite slim.
5. I want some information.
6. It wasn’t very good.
7. The girls are playing in the garden.
8. English salad is a mixture of uncooked vegetables.
2. Fill in the gaps with the appropriate word given in brackets in each sentence:
9. When I lived in the city I never ……….. my neighbours. (know)
10. The Smiths ……. at a camp site last summer. (stay)
11. The tea-making machine in my room isn’t ……… (work)
12. We came here two days ago and we … in a beautiful hotel. (stay)
13. This week I ……… my grandparents. (visit)
14. City dwellers usually ………. a quiet holiday by the sea or in the mountains. (like)
15. Some tourists take a video camera with them as it ……….. everything in action. (record)
16. The location of the castles ….. usually in a village or in the country. (be)
3. Fill in the correct preposition:
In front of near under in behind on
17. There is a shed ….. the garden.
18. There is a rug ……. the table.
19. There are some cushions …… the sofa.
20. There is an armchair ……. the table.
21. There is something …… the sofa. Pick it up.
22. My school is …….. the house.
4. Fill in some or any, much or many:
23. My friend likes ice-cream very …….. .
24. There are ……. school basketball teams in our town.
25. There is …… information you need in this book.
26. There are …….. shops near our school.
27. There are no ……… cushions on the sofa.
28. Are there ….. supermarkets in the area?
29. There are …….. boys in the street.
30. There were no ……. girls in the street.
31. There were ……… towels in the kitchen.
32. There are ….. apples on the plate?
1. Fill in the words from the list:
A instant exotic tea boiling healthy
religious serious sweet scientific modern
33. leaves 38. point
34. food 39. flat
35. coffee 40. delicacies
36. research 41. tooth
37. beliefs 42. problems
B modern criminal financial control determining
marriage mutual drug and alcohol society get
43. situation 48. addictions
44. understanding 49. married
45. family 50. registration
46. unit 51. factor
47. support 52. everything
2. Fill in the gaps using the following words:
imagination publications origin interests below tremendous deposits consultant
Staples is professor of geology at the University of Oregon. His professional 53 …….. are economic geology and mineralogy, with archaeology and mineral collecting as hobbies. Besides his teaching he has served as a working geologist and 54 ……….. for various mining companies in the United States and abroad. He received his Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1935 and has written extensively for scholarly 55 ……… .
He wrote that most people who live in a climate where the temperature drops 56 …….. freezing have watched with considerable fascination, the growth of icicles. Millions of others have visited the great caverns of the world, such as the Carlsbad Caverns of New Mexico or the Postojna Cavern in Yugoslavia, to view the 56 ………. stalactites and stalagmites of the mineral species of calcium carbonate. These strange forms, many of huge dimensions, grow millimeter by millimeter as the dripping waters evaporate and deposit their dissolved material. To some people these 58 ……… of mineral matter are of interest as things of beauty and natural art objects; to others they conjure up romantic tales and suggest king’s thrones, temples, animals, gods, or other fantasies suggested by their interesting shapes. However, to the scientifically minded person, they stir the 59 ………… in a very different way. The visualization of how these masses of crystalline material grow in size, atom by atom, unit cell by unit cell, calls for fully as much imagination as is required to see in them the exotic forms envisaged by many tourists. The difference is that the scientist attempts to understand the 60 ……….. of the minerals, the processes of growth and its resulting forms. This may demand a study of the physical-chemical nature of the material, and the dynamics of the processes involved.
1. Complete your fact file
2. Write 16 questions you have to ask if you want to complete the fact file
Чтобы распечатать файл, скачайте его (в формате Word).
Ссылка на скачивание - внизу страницы.