M/V "Astra", "Silver Star", "Blue Line", "Karina", "Victory" and "Queen"; tankers "Tallin" and "Nanennberg" (Тексты о теплоходах и танкерах для перевода на русский язык), страница 2

Steam turbine vessel «FRDERIK KURI» gross tonnage 11205 tons in the morning on May, 13th, 2003 proceeded in ballast at full speed of 16 knots to Odessa on bunkering. Weather and visibility was good. On the bridge there was the watch chief officer, the helmsman and the look-out. At 05.40 before the turning on the recommended course of 8°, leading to Odessa roadstead, the master came to the bridge. Soon the visibility began to reduce, and at 05.47 the engine was put into maneuverable mode, at which the speed was approximately 13 knots. The boatswain was sent to the forecastle, who had to after the anchors’ preparation for letting go perform visual and audio look-out. Radar look-out was performed by the master, and the officer of the watch made fixes, dead reckoning, notes, radio communications, so, he was doing all duties of the OOW. Fog signals for a vessel being under way were switched on. At 05.55 steam turbine vessel steadied the helm on steady up on the recommended course 8°. Visibility by that moment reduced considerably and did not exceed 1 mile. The vessel continued proceeding at full speed. About 06 hours the master and the officer of the watch heard the message by radio, that vessel «TANENNBERG», which was lying at anchor in the roadstead, weighed anchor and steamed 161°. At 06.04 visibility became 1-2 cables, half-speed (12,5 knots) was ordered. From 06.04 to 06.09 there were no active targets on the monitor of the radar. At 06.09 approximately on the beam of cape Lanzheronsky vessel’s observation on bearing and distance was made. At 06.10 on the bridge fog signal was heard on the starboard bow. Immediately the order «Full astern!» was given . After a minute on bearing approximately 70 ° from starboard side nearby 1 cable, the vessel proceeded on reciprocal course was spotted visually. Vessels continued approaching quickly and less than a minute they collided  with each other at blunt angle.

Story №8

Tanker "NANENNBERG" gross tonnage 7653 tons on May, 13th, having loaded oil cargo, after loading left the port and anchored in the roadstead for lubricating oil bunkering. At 05.35, having managed this operation and received permission to leave the port , the anchor was heaved up. At 05.51, when in water there was less than a shackle, the vessel was approximately on a course northern-east. Slow speed was given, applied hard-a-starboard to steady the helm on steady up on a heading leading to the sea. The wind was weak, a visibility - about semimile. On the bridge there was a master, the watch chief officer, helmsman, and also the fourth officer, who had just sent to the vessel. He was in charge of only duties of a look-out. On a forecastle there was a boatswain, who was ordered to perform visual and audio look-out. The master conned the vessel and performed radar look-out on range scales of 5 and 2,5 miles. The chief officer made observations by radar, dead reckoning, notes into auxiliary Log Book, maintain radio communication with a shore. The message about sailing was given when traffic started. About 6 hours from radio conversation between turbine vessel «FREDERIK KURL» and other vessel there was known that she approached roadstead. After that at once, at 06.00, on the port bow at a distance of 2,5 miles the echo was observed. The master made decision to continue circulation. The vessel’s speed on circulation was about 4 knots. By 06.05 visibility reduced to 1 cable. At 06.10 on the port of the beam, the vessel, which proceeded on reciprocal courses, was spotted. During the same time the engine was stopped, rudder was applied hard-a-starboard. At 06.11 full speed astern was given. In half-minute two vessels collided.

Story №9

M/V "KARINA" gross tonnage 3247 tons with 3567 т of cargo, steamed 66° at full speed in the open sea. The wind and sea were weak, visibility was variable. At midday the 2nd officer had the watch. Except him and the sailor, on the bridge there was the master, who at 12.30, when visibility became 5 miles, left the bridge for his cabin. 10 minutes later the vessel encountered fog, visibility reduced to 0,2 miles.

Fog signals were sounded, radar and navigation lights were switched on, watch engineer was informed. Speed was reduced to 0,5 knots - from 12,5 knots. The course was altered 20° to port  for observing of the shadow sector of radar. At 12.42 the vessel was on course 6°, at a distance of 30,2 miles echo-signal were detected. At 12.45 the officer of the watch defined that the other vessel was proceeding 215° at speed of 9 knots. At that time the distance to her was 2,12 miles. At 12.47 there was applied 10° of right rudder, and at 12.49 as it was written in the Log Book, she steadied the helm on steady up on a heading of 76° - to make the risk deflection of the target . After the turn the OOW didn’t spot the echo-signal on the monitor of the radar and, having tried to find it, began to switch the scales. The master, having seen on gyrocompass repeater, that the vessel turned, at 12.50 without calling, came to the bridge. Having listened to the report about the disappeared echo-signal, he tried to find it out, making adjustment regulations. The second officer of the watch at that time went on the port side wing of the bridge and approximately a minute later visually spotted lost target at a distance of 2 cables on course 45° from the port side, proceeding on reciprocal course. The engine was stopped, the rudder was applied hard-a-starboard. However collision was not prevented. At 12.52 the oncoming vessel, which was a fishing vessel with gross tonnage nearby 48 tons, bumped at right angle in the port bow side of a vessel, having made a flat dent and caused considerable damage.

Story №10

m/v "VICTORY" gross tonnage 4519 tons on July, 28th, 2004 lied at anchor in the inner roadstead of Hamburg. At 15.47 the vessel weighed anchor and has proceeded at dead slow speed through the river Elba. Visibility was at that time about 1 cable, the wind was west-north-west, 8 force. Vessel’s observation was made by radar station, which was set on 2,5 miles range scale. At 15.53, when the vessel was on course 60°, the radar station failed. Despite that, the master decided to continue passing. During a minute the bridgeteam operated blind and then the master gave «port 10°!» order to turn through the river mouth. Simultaneously with the beginning of the turn dead ahead at close distance unclear correspondence of a obstacle appeared. That was jetty. But the master was not ready for that. So, having incorrectly fixed the distance to the jetty, he didn’t take any actions to prevent contact with a jetty. The vessel during a minute continued proceeding forward with former speed with a slow swing to port. Only when the vessel became too close to the jetty, full ahead was given and the order to let go both have returned both anchors was made. But these measures could not prevent contact with the transition pier, which connected jetties with a shore.

Story №11

m/v "QUEEN" gross tonnage 4531 tons was lying on August, 7th, 2003 at anchor in outer roadstead of the port of Rotterdam. In water three were 3 shackles of the anchor-chain. The engine was in half-hour readiness. At 08.00 the second OOW had the watch. There were neither the master, nor the chief officer on board the vessel. It was soon reported about the wind increasing to 17 m/s, despite that, no measures on keeping sharp look-out of ship’s drift, increasing number of shackles in water were not made by the officer of the watch. At 14.00 chief officer boarded the vessel and has detected that the vessel drifted towards diesel m/v «PINK STAR», which was lying abaft. The chief officer ordered to put the engine at readiness mode, but didn’t made any other security measures. Only at 15 .30, when the distance to «PINK STAR» reduced to 15-20 m, he started weighing anchor, giving slow speed ahead for holding the vessel against the wind. The wind increased force 7-8. At 15.43 the boatswain informed from the forecastle that the vessel went under the hull. The chief officer gave slow, half-speed and then a full astern. At that speed the engine was operating 2 minutes. As the result of that the vessel became not under command. Above-said measures with the help of ship’s engine were made to prevent contact with m/v «PINK STAR» but all of them were unsuccessful. At 15.45 m/v «QUEEN» at full ahead had contact her port side with stem of diesel vessel, having caused itself considerable damage.